Nigeria Immigration Service (NIS), what is the duty of the Nigeria immigration service?, is the portal for Nigeria immigration service recruitment open for application 2024?, how can I access the Nigeria immigration service portal? how can I apply for a visa? how can I apply for a Nigerian passport?
The above and many more questions about the Nigerian immigration service are right and reasonable. If you have a similar question or exactly that, go through this article to find out your answers.
Nigeria immigration service is responsible for checking and making sure about people that leave or enter Nigeria. They are responsible for making sure of the security of the border that holds people leaving or entering Nigeria.
Before a person leaves or enters Nigeria, their success is 50 percent determined by whether or not they are able to pass through the immigration officers.
The Nigerian immigration service has a very long history that you do not want to ignore. A piece of very interesting news about the Nigeria immigration service recruitment 2024 that you do not want to miss out on too.
Read on to the end of this article to find out everything you need to know about the Nigeria immigration service, their portal registration, how to go about registering for the 2024 recruitment, and many more about them.
This article holds every bit of information you need to have knowledge of about this Nigerian agency.
What You Need to Know About the Nigeria Immigration Service(NIS)
About Nigeria’s immigration service, there are a lot of things you should know about the Nigerian agency.
The people who are workers in the Nigerian immigration service are known as immigration officers. You may have been hearing about immigration officers but may not have known what or who they are and their work.
Do you see how important this article is already? Keep reading to find out more interesting facts.
The Nigeria immigration service NIS Was extracted from the Nigeria police force in august 1958 at the time, it was known as the Nigeria immigration department and the department was controlled by the chief FEDERAL immigration officer CFIO.
On August 1963 the immigration department ass it was still then called was formally established by an act of parliament cap 171, laws of the Federation of Nigeria.
It was by the establishment that the Nigerian immigration service was seen as having come of age.
The act of parliament was rebelled and replaced with the immigration act of 2015 which positions the service with the legal instrument to combat the smuggling of migrant SOM in Nigeria.
The history of this great agency is one that can keep you glued without you knowing it but that is not all about the agency.
Read further to find out about the Nigeria immigration service recruitment 2024 and every other thing about Nigeria immigration service as contained in this article.
What is the duty of the Nigeria immigration service NIS?
What are Nigerian immigration officers known for? what is the duty of the immigration officers?
The Nigerian immigration service is known for keeping the security of the Nigerian border for people who are leaving Nigeria known as immigrants or those entering Nigeria while making their money.
Nigeria immigration service workers earn a training allowance of up to 20-35,000 naira in 2024 while the average salary a graduate will earn working with Nigeria Immigration Service is about #150,000 without the allowance and other benefits.
NIS official training for newly recruited lasts for two weeks only.
There are just a few very important things that the Nigeria immigration service or immigration officers do and they may include the following,
- Surveillance of the Nigerian border and patrol
- They are responsible for the enforcement of laws and regulations which we, the Nigerian citizens have been directly charged to obey and keep to
- The Nigeria immigration service or immigration officers are responsible for the issuing of a resident permit to foreigners in Nigeria
- They issue travel documents to Nigerian citizens who are leaving the country, those who are already outside the country, or those who are in Nigeria.
- Controlling people who are leaving or entering Nigeria
- Making sure that immigrants are going on outside the country on safe notes.
In conclusion, the duty of the Nigeria immigration service and Nigeria immigration officers as they are called, they make sure that those who are leaving Nigeria are leaving on a good note and are not going over with trouble or anything related that will endanger them or others.
Also, they make sure that those who are coming from other countries to Nigeria are coming on a good note and that nothing is coming with them that will disrupt the peace of the country and that of the people.
Nigeria Immigration Service NIS Portal Access(https://portal.immigration.gov.ng)
The Nigeria immigration service portal is always open and now your question should be, who can have access to the Nigeria immigration service portal? What is the Nigeria immigration service NIS portal for?
This article has your base on that too.
The Nigeria immigration service portal is always open for access to every Nigerian who has made up their mind to leave the country for good or those who want to come back to their father’s land.
The portal is always for a list of things you may want to do online. You can relax in your home or be on your bed and decide to process your immigration papers before the final physical procession.
There is a list of things you can do on the Nigeria immigration service portal including the following;
- Applying for a Nigerian passport
- Complete visa application
- Applying and getting an ECOWAS travel certificate.
How to Apply For a Nigerian Passport. Online Application
Applying for a Nigerian passport is one of the things you can be able to do online on the official Nigeria immigration service portal and to do that is not very difficult.
You can apply for a new Nigerian passport, renew your old passport or refresh your lost or stolen passport.
Follow the following steps to apply for a Nigerian passport online on the Nigeria immigration service portal with less stress;
- Log in to the official website for Nigerian passport application on your browser at portal.immigration.gov.ng or simply click here
- Location of the space for passport application
- You can choose to read the application guidelines so as not to make any mistakes in the application process
- Locate what you want to do in the options that come under passport application, (renewing an old passport, re-issuing f stole or lost passport, etc)
- Click or tap on the exact activity you want to carry out. Click on re-issuing for example if that is what you want to do, and fresh passport if that is what you want to do.
- Follow the remaining processes as you will be directed to do.
- The process is transparent, simple, and easy and everything good.
How to Apply for Visa On the Nigeria Immigration Service Portal (www.portal.immigration.gov.ng).
If what you are interested to do in the official Nigeria immigration service NIS portal is to apply for a visa, follow the below-listed steps to do it simply;
- Log in to the official website at www.portal.immigration.gov.ng or simply click here
- Select the option to apply for a visa below the page.
- Read the guidelines to know what to do and not to do or you can skip it
- Select whether you want to apply for an entry visa or an arrival visa
- You will be directed to the page where you can do that
- Follow the simple processes that will be shown to you and apply for your visa.
- As simple as that.
How to Apply For an ECOWAS Travel Certificate
This is the third thing you can be able to do on the Nigeria immigration service. The ECOWAS certificate is only given to Nigerian citizens who want to travel to other ECOWAS member states and if you are one of such persons, you can apply by following the below steps;
- Go on to portal.immigration.gov.ng or enter here
- Scroll down and locate the ECOWAS travel certificate
- Select what you really want to do, (apply afresh for a new ECOWAS certificate, renew your certificate, or re-issue certificate if you lost your former or it was stolen.
- You will be directed to a new page
- Kindly follow the processes that will be shown to you, and do so carefully.
Note: Whatever you have entered on the portal cannot be undone so, it is advised that you read the guidelines on each step you want to take, applying for a visa, Nigerian passport, or ECOWAS certificate so as not to make any mistake.